20-minute meal: Coconut chicken noodle soup
Coconut chicken soup with peanuts
2 noodle cakes
80g onions, finely slice
15g ginger, peeled and finely chopped
¼ chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
40g peanuts, crushed
½ lemongrass stalk, bruised
450ml chicken stock
1 chicken breast, sliced
200ml coconut milk
2 spring onions, finely sliced
8g mushrooms, sliced
100g pak choi, finely sliced
6g coriander, roughly chopped
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, add the dry noodles and cook for 4-6 minutes, until just cooked. Drain off and set aside.
- For the soup, add your finely chopped onion, ginger, chilli (to your heat preference), peanuts, lemongrass and a splash of cooking oil to a pan over a low to medium heat, and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken stock and allow it to reduce by about one third. Remove from the heat and allow to infuse for 2 minutes before blending with a stick blender (removing your lemongrass before blending).
- Place a pan over a medium-high heat. Add a splash of cooking oil and while it is getting hot, season your chicken slices with salt and pepper. Cook your chicken breast slices for above 1-2 minutes per side, until golden. Remove from the pan when ready. They don’t need to be totally cooked through, it is more about colour at this stage.
- Bring your soup back onto a low-medium heat and add your coconut milk, chicken pieces, sliced mushrooms and pak choi. Cook through for 2 minutes. Should the soup become too thick, add a splash of water.
- Stir through chopped coriander and spring onion.